A part of my family lives in Greece, therefor I have been there many times. I love the country, the open mentality and the food – it is really delicious! But you shouldn’t go to the touristic restaurants; the atmosphere is much better when there are local people! In Greece nobody orders just food for himself, one orders food for all the persons, so everybody can take from the table what he wants!
The only problem you might be confronted with is that they don’t have a menu, because of that I tell you how to order food in the Greek language and what you really have to try:
- Bougátsa – filled puff pastry (you can choose between feta, pudding, spinach or mincemeat – I love it with pudding!)
- Gyro Pita/Psomí – you almost get it everywhere! You can choose if you want the Gyro with Pita or Psomí (bread). You will get it with sauce (tsatsiki or mustard and ketchup), tomatoes, onions, salad and French fries.
Starter or supplement
- Tsatsiki (everybody knows what it is J)
- Psomí – bread (you almost ever get a portion without ordering)
- Patatas – Chips
- Saganaki – fried cheese
- Dolmades – stuffed vine leaves
- Florines – red pointed paper
- Melitzana salata – aubergine salad
- Anguro tomato saláta – cucumber tomato salad
- Taramasalata – Fish roe, breadcrumbs, olive oil, lemon juice
Fish and seefood
- Kalamarakia – squid
- Ochtapodi – octopus
- Mídhia Sakanaki – mussels in tomato sauce
- Garídes – shrimps
- Skumbrí – (Atlantic) mackerel
Normally you don’t need to order dessert in Greek restaurants; you got some for free after your meal. Either you get some fruits or some desserts. But if you want to try something else, here are my favourites:
- Loukoumades: Basically it’s a Greek fried donut balls soaked in honey or syrup and sprinkled with cinnamon
- Baklava: Consisting of thin layers of pastry filled with nuts and honey
After the food, you should not forget to try the famous Greek coffee, which is not only served after the meals, but all over the day!
Of course there are many other things to eat – I only told you my favourite ones!